A stroke happens when a portion of the brain is damaged, due to interruption of blood flow to the brain. When this happens the mental and physical abilities are hampered. There are three different types of strokes:
- Cerebral Thrombosis - This happens when an artery to the brain is narrowed down. This can happen because of atherosclerosis, plaque or deposit of fatty tissue.
- Cerebral Embolism - This one is also a block, but happens because of a foreign material or embolus.
- Cerebral Hemorrhage - This type of stroke happens not because the artery is blocked, but due to an artery that has burst or is leaking.
Warning Signs of a Stroke
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
Risk Factors That Increase the Likelihood of Having a Stroke
- Smoking - If smoking, stop. The patient can start by cutting back and then eventually stopping all together.
- Hypertension - High Blood pressure is a problem that causes many unnecessary deaths. It is a silent killer. Get blood pressure checked regularly.
- Diet - It is important to be on a healthy diet and following the Heart Association pyramid. Eating brown grains, no colas or coffee, no sugar, limited salt and reduction in all red meats.
- Alcoholism - The patient must give up drinking all together. There are organizations like AA who can help in this process.
- Cholesterol Problems - Through a healthy diet and lifestyle changes, the cholesterol will drop. It is necessary to be less than 200.
- Lifestyle - Healthy lifestyle includes diet, exercise and eliminating of stress
- Atrial Fibrillation (unsteady heart rhythm) - See a doctor regularly and keep this in check.
Periwinkle is one of the best herbs to use for stroke. The botanical name is "vinca major." Periwinkle will naturally improve the blood flow to the brain area. Periwinkle will help to decrease all excess bleeding disorders and is useful for hemorrhaging, excess menstrual flow, nosebleed, bleeding gums, and all other bleeding disorders.
Other herbs that are useful are: Luft (leaves of the luffah scrubber), ginger, cinnamon, Butcher's Broom, gotu Kola, Goldenseal, Thistle, Gingko biloba and Mullein Leaf.
Suggested Supplements are: Vitamin D3, C, selenium, L- Carnitine, CQ10, magnesium, olive leaf and grape seed.
Learn More About Strokes and African American Women:
Aspirin and Strokes:
Natural Ways to Prevent a Stroke:
Stroke Warning Signs Which Can Save Your Life: