What is the Mayo Clinic Diet?
*The Mayo Clinic is not a diet, but a lifestyle diet and there are many diets circulating on the web about a grapefruit diet that is full of fat and meats and this is in no way the Mayo Clinic Diet. The Mayo Clinic wishes to distance their self from this and any claims that it is a Mayo Clinic Diet *
Have you been trying to lose weight and you feel frustrated because you have tried every diet under the sun with no luck? We are sure you have tried the low carb diet, the low fat diet and yes the famous ice cream diet. But, you will find the only true diet is a lifestyle change diet. Trying to lose weight is a roller coaster and until now, there seem like no relief in site.
The lifestyle change diet is different as it is a diet to change your health, not just lose weight.
The diet's basic philosophy is that of clinical experience. They have learned that it is not the weight you want to lose but the foods you chose. The diet focus is on overall good health. The diet consist of 4 parts:
1. You will eat well on this program:
There are no major restrictions on the program. You can eat generous amounts of healthy foods that aim to let you lose 1-2 pounds per week. You will follow the pyramid and choose the right kinds of foods that you want to enjoy from vegetables, whole grain carbohydrates, lean proteins, fruits, low-fat dairy and healthy unsaturated fats. Again the secret here is moderation.
The Mayo Clinic Pyramid:
If you are inactive, you will not be healthy and you will not be able to lose the weight that you need to lose. Exercise is and essential part of the Mayo Clinic's program. When you exercise, you use calories which in turn burns the fat.
3. Setting Goals:
You must have goals of where you plan to be. Setting goals helps you to put your plan into action.
4. Starting the diet and how to stay motivated:
- Stay Positive - Think about what is happening good on your plan and don't focus on the negatives. If you fail one day, pick yourself up and start again.
- Set priorities - Write down what is most important and don't focus just on weight loss.
- Forget the fad diets - Work on a program that works in the long haul, not some quick overnight scheme
- Look for support groups - Look for a buddy or support groups to help you. Sometimes a call in the night is needed.
- Not a quick fix diet, but an everlasting diet - Remember that quick weight loss may give quick weight gain. So take it slow and do it correct.
Losing weight is something more psychological than anything. When you deal with your past and your frustrations, you can clear your mind to lose weight permanently. You did not get overweight in one day, so plan that losing the weight will take a bit of time, but in the end you will be glad that you followed this program. Small steps to a bright future.
Photo courtesy of Photobucket/csna-website